Monday, January 31, 2011

Just Do It

So I'd like you to do a little something for me.  Type in your favorite search engine field "wonder mommy".  Tell me what you find.  The results astounded me.  All of these women label themselves "wonder mommies" but the question is...by whose standard? 

I've been told by several friends and family members what an amazing mom I am.  They have no  idea how I find the time to do what I do.  A lot of people ask me for advice.  They want to know how I "do it all."  The answer is....you have to do what works for you.  And FYI...I don't get it ALL done a lot of days.  Sometimes..the laundry has to be laundry for a while.  Sometimes it sits in disorganized arrays of baskets until I can fold it a few days later.  Sometimes the dishes don't get washed.  The housekeeping suffers.  It's liveable but if you want to know where your favorite pair of bunny underwear are...well...you'll have to wait a couple days till I can find them.  IT always boarders on a little bit of chaos, but this is the exchange we pay for having a mommy who is a full time student, full time worker, wife, mother, pet owner, daughter, and professional.  Every moment of every day is a choice for me.  Many days, I am not dressed in my Sunday's finest.  This doesn't make me any less of a woman or mother...it makes me smart.  I choose the energy I expend on all things because there is a limited supply as we all know.  Because I'm a nurse I can explain this theory and topic to a bit more detail than most.

In the event of crisis or severe amounts of stress (let's face it..that's life) the body goes into "fight or flight" response.  During periods of fight, or flight....you lose circulation to parts of your body that don't necessarily require full on amounts of circulation to do their jobs so your heart and brain stay oxygenated instead.  So this means...and translates into mommydom this way:  The necessities are taken care of...everything else is a bit dodgey.  What are the necessities you ask?  Everyone is fed, clothed, loved, safe, educated, and for the most part...happy.  When I say everyone of course I'm referring to my children.  They are loved on and spoiled beyond belief.  I on the other hand...again...am running full speed ahead on tanks empty most days.  But again..the price we pay for a stable life.  Some people would suggest that I cut down at work, or school.  Well people....that's not possible.  Financially we need a second full time income in addition to my husband's and in terms of school I need to finish as quickly as possible in order to minimize the financial ramifications associated. 

As moms, daughters, wives...we press onward and forward.  We keep trudging uphill for those we love.  Not to be successful but to fulfill our promises.  Promises are the basis of everything.  I've promised my children that I would love and nurture them to the best of my ability.  I've promised my husband my undying love, devotion, dedication, and diligence.  I've promised my parents an opportunity to be proud of me.  I've promised my sisters emergent help, love, and laughs.  I've promised my college to be an exemplary nurse.  I've promised my job to be an exemplary employee.  I've given away a good share of the pie.  So what's left for me??!  That wonderful, tasty little sliver that I savor until there is nothing left. 

Parenthood and marriage don't lend themselves to selfish ambitions.  They are completely selfless acts.  So where does the fuel come from?  There's only one answer to that question folks and it's GOD.  No one, even those proclaimed to be self labeled Wonder Mommies have the power to do what they do on a daily basis without HIM.  Wether they chose to acknowledge HIM in it or not...He's still the one driving force in your life regardless of your choice to believe.  He mirrors HIS relationship with us through our relationship with others.  HE selflessly gives HIMSELF to everything, everyone, and everywhere everyday.  So when I don't have a whole bunch left....I look to HIM for it ALL. 

Maybe there is such a thing as a Wonder Mommy.  We will truly see.  HE designs all things..so it's very possible there's a little Wonder Mommy in us all.  Think about it.

~ Morethanamommy

No comments:

Post a Comment